Friday, May 21, 2010

Two Men to be Ordained to the Priesthood



ARCHDIOCESE — God calls men to the priesthood at different times in their lives. Some begin discerning the call while still in their teens. Others embark on different careers before they begin priestly formation.

This year two men are being ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. One heard God’s call early and entered college seminary straight out of high school. The other spent a year in medical school before following his true vocation.


They will be ordained by Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr May 20, 11 a.m. at the Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains.



Deacon Robert Muhlenkamp

Growing up the third of six boys in a Catholic family on a dairy farm in Coldwater, Deacon Robert Muhlenkamp thought he would someday be married with a family of his own.

"All through high school I always looked up to my parents, my aunts and uncles, so I thought the best way to serve God is to raise a family and bring them up in the faith and teach them to love God," he said. "It wasn't until my sophomore year of college that I started thinking about the priesthood."



Deacon Timothy Ralston

Timothy Ralston was a ninth-grade Mass server at St. George Parish in Georgetown when the pastor at the time, Father Earl Metz, first suggested that he should think about becoming a priest.


A religious formation teacher at the parish made a similar suggestion, but the high school student didn't embrace the idea.


"I don’t remember really saying much in response to it," Deacon Ralston said. "It was something that I decided I didn’t want for myself, and I definitely didn’t want to talk about it with anybody.


“I basically said, ‘If you want me to do this, Lord, I’ll do it but only because you want me to do it. I don’t want it for myself. I want you to give me something else.’



Read the rest here.


No comments: