Monday, February 19, 2007

Pope gives advice to Roman Seminarians

From Zenit, Benedict XVI addressed the seminarians of his diocese this past Saturday, on the feast of their patroness, Our Lady of Confidence.

I was struck by how he "urged them not to put faith in those who promise a happy and comfortable life." It could be very easy to be a priest. We have meals provided, a (usually) nice house, stipends for cars and such. But Jesus never promises that it will be easy, in fact just the opposite: "To truly be my disciple, you must deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me." These are not words that are easy to hear, but are necessary for one who is to lead others closer to Christ. (I have to remind myself daily of these words, trust me!)

The Holy Father addressed topics on pain, discernment, and memories among those asked by students at the seminary. He mentioned that Pain is how we grow in maturity, something that the Prozac Nation needs to hear.

No comments: