Sunday, January 17, 2010

Special Thanks

If you watch the video featuring Fr. Tony Tozzi, parochial vicar at St. Susanna's in Mason, you'll notice it ends on a particular point: the priest bringing the soul home to God.

I knew the day that Fr. Tozzi was being filmed, but was not planning on being a part of it, after all I had some work to do.

Towards the end of the day, my cell phone rings by Michael Walsh, who filmed and produced the videos for us: "You didn't warn me about this!"

That was a real episode. Michael was interviewing Fr. Tozzi when the call came in that a priest was needed to anoint someone who was in the active stages of dieing. Oils in the car, off they went.

Not wanting to intrude with a camera into a very private moment in life, the question was asked, the point explained: 'This is for a video for the priesthood, but only with your expressed permission.'

They were very generous in response: 'If mom knew that her last act on earth would be used to promote the priesthood, she would be so very pleased.'

With that, they gave the permission and the camera stayed back, but rolled.

My sincere thanks to the family, my prayers for Mrs. Conte's soul, that she may be rewarded for allowing this to happen.

4 comments:

MJ said...

What a wonderful lady and family. I'll say a prayer for them today.

Fr Martin Fox said...

That *&^%! Fr. Tozzi! Had to show me up!

Seriously, Fr. Tozzi handled that beautifully, and I have to say, I don't know that I'd have been as good at it, so fresh out of the seminary. Credit is due to our seminary, which has the strong point (among others) of helping priests "hit the ground running."

I've been a priest seven years, and I still get skittish walking into a situation like that; but the training and experience sure helps.

Anonymous said...

That made me tear up.

I hope all you priest realize what a blessing your vocation is to all of us. We out here laboring in the vocation of married life need you guys. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! What a gift from Mrs. Conte and from Fr. Tozzi. I thought this connection was neat too -- Fr. Tozzi helps bring someone home to God at the end of the video, tying in nicely with his own call to the priesthood that he heard after the death of his friend.

This is a beautiful series, Father. We watch each episode with the family. We've always enjoyed written accounts of priestly experiences but these video series really bring it to life in a powerful way. Great use of modern technology!
(We liked the seminary video, too, esp. since it featured Lebanon's own Philip Frederick!)
BTW, I was reading over in your twitter column that you spent an hour and a half at a Tim Horton's before heading to Incranation in Centerville?!! Oh, no! We live about 15 minutes from there in Lebanon. You are always welcome here if you need a place to hang out between engagements!

Theresa Dearie