Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thoughts on Thanksgiving Day

First, I found the Preface for Thanksgiving Day to be a good initial reflection on the nature of this day. The line that really struck me: 'It happened to our fathers, who came to this land as if out of the desert into a place of promise and hope.' Reflect on that for a moment.....


And let's continue:

Naturally, on this day we stop to give thanks, and recall those things we are thankful for. I'm thankful for spending the day with my folks; I'm thankful I don't have to buy shampoo (really, is there any that's not froo-froo?)

But, really, it has to be something more than, eh? What's the most precious gift that we have been given, for which we should be most grateful? What is better than gift of Salvation wrought for us by Christ, the Lord?

On this day where we give thanks, let us focus most on that gift, from which all others flow.

No comments: