Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Guard of the Tomb

Surfing through St. Blog's Parish, I stumbled across a new priest blog: Da Mihi Animas, run by a Salesian priest of Don Bosco. (I have to admit, I really like his template!)

Lots of great posts on the Holy Father's visit, but also one of the Guard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This last section particularly struck me:

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington , DC , our US Senate/House took 2 days off with anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news, it was reported that because of the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, 'No way, Sir!' Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a service person. The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

1 comment:

Padre Steve said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I like your template too! I think we were at the Josh for a year or two at the same time. I was there from Fall of 1996 to Spring of 1998. I did my final two years of theology in Mexico at a Salesian Sem. I enjoy your blog amigo! God bless your work for vocations! Padre Steve