Sunday, June 8, 2008

What a weekend!

First, for an insight into the experience of a priest as he does the 'firsts,' read a new blogger who's just gone through it.

This weekend was spent up at the Our Lady of the Holy Spirit Center for a discernment retreat for young women. Open to those from 15-30, we had 8 attendees, along with 7 sisters, two deacons, a priest (ME!) and the lay director of the Center. From what I could tell, it was a good experience and a great chance for these young ladies to come together in prayer to see if God might be calling them to religious life. The initial reviews were all well received, and that gives us hope for holding the retreat in the future. I have a feeling that this is something that will grow organically as word gets out.

As I am also now on the Board of Trustees for the Center, I was also catching up on a number of things there at the Center as we try to continue to forward the mission of being a center for the New Evangelization.

Tomorrow comes a funeral, which is something I don't do a lot of. Met with the family this afternoon to plan out the details. The mourning is still pretty raw, but hopefully we'll get through it tomorrow.

Tschuss!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 8? (I would have been there but I live too far away and I'm too old.) :-( Still..only 8? But God bless those 8!

Funerals...those must be hard. I know they're hard just to attend.

At my aunt's funeral a couple years ago, my uncle, whom I hadn't seen in several years greeted me and asked me if I'd been to see his "beautiful bride". He led me to her casket and said, "There is my bride...isn't she beautiful?"

He wasn't in denial...yes, he was mourning, and he loved her (we all did and still do!), but I was so struck by how he still called her "his bride". It was amazing.

I don't think I could deal with mourning families....I'd want to just be hugging them all the time!

Anonymous said...

our home school group could have sent probably 10 girls... we didn't know about it.