Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Feast Day, Dad!

Today is the Feast of St. Thomas, Apostle. Yes, he of the famous: "Unless I see, I will not believe!" My grandparents named my father appropriately, as he takes after his namesake well! Dad is famous among his annoyed and irritated grandchildren for his 'theory of relativity,' which in reality isn't a theory at all, just some guy who thinks he thinks coming up with something goofy to annoy those around him! If nothing else, it's a fun thing to do a parties!

Back to the Feast at hand, today's Gospel reading was the second appearance of Jesus to the Twelve, post Resurrection. This is one where Jesus walks in, turns and says: "Hi, Thomas, got anything to say?"

If I were him, I think I would feel about knee high to a tse-tse fly! "Uhhhhh....., Sorry?" just doesn't seem to cut it.

The good news, however, is Jesus is much more forgiving and allows Thomas to speak for all of us bumbling idiots who have come later 'who have not seen, yet still believe.' In this way, we get reassurance in the moments where we have questions, when we have those moments of doubt where we seek that greater understanding, yet our eyes are not yet able to see.

When we hit those moments, it is good to take a step back, and make that same statement of belief as St. Thomas: "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief!" so that we can eventually utter his equally famous: "My Lord and my God!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Fr V's homily/eulogy today he talked about how appropriate it was for his father to be buried on St Thomas's feast day since his dad was one who had to have something visible right there in front of him.

MJ