Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Inspiring Examples of Aged Faith

Catholic Exchange was once again kind enough to run one of my articles:

Last week, I had the opportunity to con-celebrate Mass with two priests who, together, have 120 years of priestly experience. Only bringing 6 years to the Altar myself, I was somewhat in awe of the two aged servants who have toiled long in the vineyard of the Lord.

As I reflect back on this Mass, and as I have continued to grow in friendship with these two men (who are both old enough to be my grandfather!), I continue to marvel at the great gift of the priesthood for the Church. Here we are, three men from two dramatically different generations, united by a common bond of priesthood, sharing in the one Sacrifice of Our Lord.

As I stood back, I pondered what drew me to these two men. In any other profession or career, I doubt our paths would have crossed. They would both have long since been retired; yet here we were, united by the Altar. I marveled at their deep love for the Eucharist, the joy in celebrating Mass, in preaching to the people, and an obvious love for the Blessed Virgin Mary — whom we were celebrating at this Mass.



READ THE REST

No comments: