Friday, July 15, 2011

"I will take the cup of salvation...

and call on the name of the Lord"

Today's Psalm response reminded me of the priest's preparation for the reception of the Most Precious Blood during the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, prayers athat are not in the Novus Ordo Missal of Paul VI.  After he has received the Precious Body, the rubrics state: 'He pauses for a moment, and in thanksgiving says some verses from the Psalms (115:3-4 and 17:4):


Quid retribuam Comino pro omnibus quae retribuit mihi?  Calicem salutaris accipiam, et nomen Domini invocabo.
Laudans invocabo Dominum, et ab inimicis meis salvus ero.

Trans: What shall I render to the Lord for all the things that He hath rendered to me?  I will take the chalice of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
Praising, I will call upon the Lord, and I shall be saved from my enemies.


Perhaps a good thing to note down and pray as you prepare to receive the Chalice, if you choose to do so, during Mass.

No comments: