Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Daily Readings

Has anyone else absolutely enjoyed the readings from First John this week? (The first readings at Mass)

I know this is going to sound terrible, but I've finally had some more of an insight into what John is doing in this Letter that makes it so profound. He is giving a wonderful theological treatise on what it meants to be a Christian Disciple. So often, to me at least, it seems that St. Paul talks about how to live the life, but St. John seems to be talking WHY one would do so.

Also, his approach is a great rebuttal to the Modern World as well: the reason we are disciples is not by our own choice, but by God's free gift of Self to us. "God first loved us, so now we must love one another." This is not something that I choose, but rather it is something that I cooperate with the working of Grace in my life, which is a gift from God.

Ahh, I just love St. John's writings!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like him better then Paul.

All Saints Academy said...

We have been enjoying them with 3 boys homeschooling. We sure could use more study on what it means to love.

Mary Hennnessey