Friday, December 8, 2006

passing the time in the confessional...

I generally hear confessions most days, as it is scheduled 3x a day each weekday at the Cathedral. Usually, there is a pretty steady line of penitents and there isn't much dead time. However, I bring something with me to read more often than not, b/c if you don't bring anything, no one shows up for the sacrament.

Most of the time, I bring something spiritual to read: Letters to my Brother Priests, by JPII; the recent edition of First Things, the breviary. However, the other day (I won't say which) my Autoweek came in just before I hit the box, and I had to take it with me. It was the Racing Year in Review, and I wanted to catch up on the series I follow (NOT NA$CAR!). I know, not the most spiritual of reading, but you gotta have down time as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father, if I come to you for confession I don't particularly want to receive the penance of changing your oil...

Glad to hear that you are a fellow ROFTer (or however Fr. Neuhaus says that). First Things is absolutely oustanding and covers a nice range of the cultural, legal, political, religious issues of the moment from great perspectives. As it is actually the only periodical to which I currently subscribe, I usually read it cover-to-cover each month (though I usually start in the back, as do most readers...).

Father said...

Don't worry, I just had my oil changed yesterday, I'm good for another 5000 miles!

Anonymous said...

What do you MEAN not NASCAR?????

Father said...

No
Ability
Save
Circling
Around
Repeatedly

Rich Leonardi said...

NASCAR.

"Has an accident happened yet, Vern? ... No? Pass me another Budweiser."