Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A CS Lewis Retort

Apparently, all this talk of Chesterton has made CS Lewis upset, so today's pearl of wisdom comes from the one who never made the leap all the way to Catholicism, but is still more Catholic than a great many Catholic theologians of today:

The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.


This also comes on the heels of sending one of my sister's three girls a copy of the Chronicles of Narnia two nights ago, as the older received The Golden Compass for her recent birthday. Since I forbid my sister from letter her daughter read that crap, I had to make up for it with something that will actually edify her faith instead of destroy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a good uncle. (And if you ever find her checking the back wall of the closet...don't laugh.) :-)

I still remember reading those books as a child, and I would go to my little closet and try to reach through the back wall because although it COULDN'T be true, I desperately WANTED it to be possible that there would be a doorway to Narnia.

Funny...as an adult, when I read the books again a few years ago, that same impulse returned. And being that I do have an actual walk-in closet now, I was tempted to check that back wall...just in case.... :-)

Um...to be clear, no I didn't follow through on that temptation. That's the sad part of being an adult...we don't get to believe in such things anymore. But the unseen things we DO get to believe in are a thousand times greater, so there are no complaints from THIS adult!