Thursday, October 25, 2007

A life lived in faithfulness

Rocco has the story of a contributor to his site, a frequent email correspondant:

Not until the past week did I know any of this.

All I knew were the things that, to him, were clearly the most important, the things he radiated: his love of God, his people, this faith and the priesthood.

In fact, even with just a few words, now it can be told that his last note spoke to each of these. Over the summer, following a certain catastrophe in the Midwest, a photo had circulated of three young clerics looking on at the scene, each with hand-over-mouth, but nothing more.

Msgr Ed shared the shot with me, informing that it had already been given a caption: “No stoles. No oils. No beads. No clue."

“Aren’t priests supposed to DO something in a crisis?” he wrote.

“I don't think this would have happened in Philly!”

…and, clearly, it wouldn’t have in Dubuque, either.

2 comments:

Adoro said...

I went to the link, and now I'm crying, but I also have to comment on the photo, because I've seen it.

Those priests DID have a clue, and they wrote of it. I wish I could provide the link, but I can't remember where I saw it, or who wrote it.

But one of them told the story. They were actually headed to dinner somewhere, somewhere important. But they heard of the disaster, and without question, that's where they went.

Each was prepared to serve in whatever way they could. They made themselves available...but they found where they were neeed was just to be PRESENT, not to DO anything, but to remain, be visible, be available, and provide hands where hands were needed.

They spoke of it as a lesson they couldn't have recieved anywhere else. It was an amazing testimony.

If I can find the link, I'll forward it...it wasn't that they didn't have a clue; it was that they didn't need one because they were already there. And they revealed what everyone else was already feeling. In their silent pose, hand over mouth, they spoke for billions.

Father Schnippel said...

Thanks for the clarification, Adoro.