Monday, September 15, 2008

Hard to fathom

If you caught highlights (or, more aptly, lowlights) of yesterday's game in which the Titans pasted the Bengals; you noticed it was a bit windy in these parts, with the result that nearly 90% of the area experienced at least some power outages. (Luckily, my home at the Cathedral was not affected, not even the alarm clock was blinking.)

I was driving home from Iowa and was behind the storm (the remnants of Ike), and missed much of the excitement, thankfully. It was only after stopping in Indianapolis for a quick bite to eat that I started to see leaves and trees toppled over in the fields, including one interstate 74 exit sign somewhere near Batesville, Indiana.

However, looking around at the war zone that is Cincinnati today; I can't help but wonder what it is like to experience the full hurricane rather than just the remnants. We had sustained winds of 50 mph, with gusts to 75 mph, for around three hours Sunday afternoon. Houston and Galveston had 110 mph for how long, a day and a half?

I used to always joke that we didn't have to worry about hurricanes here in the mid-west, I gues I have to change that now!

Certainly offering prayers up for those who were harder hit than we were. It is bad enough here, I can hardly fathom what it is like along the coast in Texas and Louisianna.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you all made it home safe and sound.