Thursday, September 25, 2008

Saints and Blesseds, Answered

I have been remiss for not posting the answers.

For more great programs to promote vocations in your parish and home, see the Vocation Awareness Week page.

1. I once stood in front of my church and barred my king from attending Mass after he had ordered innocent men to be killed. St. William

2. At a young age, I convinced the citizens of Paris to stay, fast and pray when Attila the Hun was threatening to invade. He later changed course and I became the Patron Saint of Paris. St. Genevieve

3. I was a Roman soldier who was tortured to death after proclaiming my Christianity to my Emperor. I am often pictured killing a dragon. St. George

4. During the Early Church persecutions, I preached the good news of Christ in the land of Campania. I survived many forms of torture due to the help of angels and a static electric charge I produced when my torturers tried to use fire on my body. St. Erasmus

5. I was a young slave girl who was arrested for being Christian. I was put to death just three days after giving birth to my daughter. St. Felicity

6. I became a lay brother of the Dominican order after studying to become a barber. I had the ability to fly and to bi-locate. St. Martin de Porres

7. I was a pagan who converted to Christianity and took the place of the priest whom I had hid in my house when persecutors came. St. Alban

8. According to legend, I once reversed the flow of a river and saved a child from execution by controlling the winds which carried him to me. St. Agnus MacNisse

9. I was the Empress of Rome when I walked over pieces of red-hot iron without injury. My husband and I lived a celibate marriage. St. Cunegunda

10. I am known as the first bishop of Jerusalem and the author of the first Catholic epistle. I witnessed the Resurrection. St. James the Lesser

11. I was a missionary priest in Hawaii. I volunteered to work in the leper colony on Molokai and gave my life to make theirs better. Bl. Damien de Veuster

12. I participated in the 1st Crusade to the Holy Land after I was ordained a bishop. St. Peter of Anagni

13. I once hid in a cave with wild animals that came to me for cures. The Church has a special throat blessing on my feast day. St. Blase

14. I was beheaded when I refused the advances of a man. My head was later restored and a well sprang up where my head had fallen. St. Winifred

15. I was an acolyte who died while protecting the Eucharist; upon my death the Eucharist disappeared so my attackers could not touch it. St. Tarsicius

16. I suffered from a rare skin disease which disappeared upon my ordination to the priesthood. St. Francis Caracciolo

17. While my brother monks referred to me as “the gaper” due to my often blank stare, I am also known as the flying saint. St. Joseph of Cupertino

18. Though Henry VIII knew me as the “holiest woman in England,” he exiled me from his royal court when I opposed his marriage to Anne Boleyn. He later beheaded me after my son (a Cardinal) denied his Act of Supremacy. Bl. Margaret Pole

19. I founded the Redemptorist Congregation after many struggles. During the later part of my life I suffered greatly from rheumatism. St. Alphonsus Marie Ligouri

20. With the help of my many visions of Jesus, I established the feast of the Sacred Heart despite the opposition of my mother superior. St. Margaret Mary Alocoque

21. I was a Ugandan who converted to Christianity and helped to protect many young men from my chieftain who later killed us for our faith. St. Charles Lwanga

22. I had the ability to see guardian angels and I was known as “one of the most brilliant theological minds of [my] time.” St. Catherine of Siena

23. I lived in the desert and fasted for 80 years. St. Bengamin the Great of Nitra

24. I was a Vietnamese citizen who was arrested for being a Christian. I briefly gave up my faith, but regained it only to be flogged to death. Bl. Thomas Toan

25. I am said to have re-attached a child’s leg which fell off when the child kicked his mother in front of me. I often help people find things. St. Anthony of Padua

26. I was a spoiled rich kid who wanted to become a knight and ended up repairing the Church and living a life of complete simplicity. St. Francis of Assisi

27. I declined an invitation by the Pope to take charge of an order of nursing sisters but later started the Ursulines, a teaching order for girls. St. Angela Merici

28. I was a housekeeper for a wealthy family and used their resources to donate to the poor. I found real joy in my work. St. Zita

29. I married a wealthy man, but gave generously of our resources, even to the point of bathing the sick with my own hands. St. Zedislava of Lemberk

30. My mother taught me how to dedicate my life to God and built a monastery for me. I lived in holiness to be 118 years old. Bl. Gregory of Verucchio

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please pray for the repose of the soul of Fr. Joe O'Connell, SJ.