Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I thought technology was supposed to make our life EASIER!

So, we've finally entered the 20th Century here at the Cenral Offices of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. We have a brand, spanking new phone system that is supposed to make life easier.

One thing we can do is set the phone to do an automatic call forward to another extension, even a cell phone if your really feeling frisky.

But it can also be a nuissance. For example: this morning I received a call from a member of the Serra Club here in Cincinnati. (NOT Sierra, that's 'hug a tree;' Serra is 'hug a priest.') After that call, however, my phone went totally Bat Shit Crazy! I am telling you, ringing off the hook, stacking five, six calls at a time. What in the world is going on here?!?!?

First call I answer is for religious certification. HUH? How did you get to the Vocation Office?!?! Next call I answer was for the fingerprinting department. WHAT?!?!? I am really getting flustered at this point. My phone keeps yelling at me: "ARE YOU THERE? ARE YOU THERE?"

SHUT UP!!!!

Nine calls later, I've had enough!

I storm down to the switchboard (ok, I rode the elevator), and ask why she is sending all these calls my way.

"Huh, the phone hasn't rang in like 15 minutes." She looks at me as if I've got three heads.

Then why has MY phone rang non-stop for the last 15 minutes??? The guy in the office next to me (Permanent Deacon Office) is about to jump out his window! We're on the 8th floor, I think that might cause a mess!

Turns out, when she forwarded that last call, she inadvertantly hit 'Call Forward ALL,' so that EVERY CALL coming into this building, all five floors for the Diocese, were coming to MY office!!!

Luckily, we got it straightened out without too much more trouble, but it did sour my mood a bit right before I had the 11:30 Mass down the street, which was not improved when dealing with the sacristan at said Cathedral.

I knew I should've stayed in bed this morning!

12 comments:

Barb said...

I hope your day has gotten better, Father...

Anonymous said...

Personally, Father, I think your issues started with your first assumption - that technology was supposed to make our lives easier!

Adoro said...

I think technology has ultimately ruined our lives. But look at me...here I am using it...I'm a hypocrite.

Anyway, I'm curious about what the sacristan did. (And you KNEW I was going to ask about that, didn't you?) Sorry...I'm nosy.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love IP Telephony?


SB

uncle jim said...

telephones especially can be a nuisance

hence the need for

Anger Management 101

why else would one enroll?

Fr. V said...

NOT Sierra, that's 'hug a tree;' Serra is 'hug a priest.

LOL!

Anonymous said...

speaking of "B-S-Crazy..."

I'm still in the running for "snarkiest Catholic Blog" on The Crescat's Cannonball Catholic Awards. Have you voted for me yet, or are you hanging me out to dry?

Father Schnippel said...

Swaim:

I've voted for you something like 14 times! (This is the only thing on which I agree with the Democrats: Vote Early, Vote Often!)

Anonymous said...

dude, Catholicism transcends the American political system. If you don't believe me, listen to Matt Archbold from Creative Minority Report tomorrow at 7:10.

Anonymous said...

Matt - that would be Father Dude!! :)

a thorn in the pew said...

WHile I am sorry about your phone woes, your retelling has provided comic relief today.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...a Luddite priest?