Tuesday, July 8, 2008

my new favorite prayer!

A friend passes along a prayer she knew I couldn't resist, from the fine folks at Sanitas Contra Gentes:

Blessing of Beer
V. Adiutorium nostrum in nomine Domini.
R. Qui fecit caelum et terram.

V. Dominus vobiscum.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo.

Oremus.
Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisiae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi, et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti; ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corpus et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum.
R. Amen.

Et aspergatur aqua benedicta.


English translation
V. Our help is in the name of the Lord.
R. Who made heaven and earth.

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.
Bless, + O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

And it is sprinkled with holy water.

Of course, the Catholic Beer Review would certainly stipulate that the holy water be purified first, for we would not want to contaminate such a fine drinking specimin during such a blessing!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother makes his own beer. He even put a tap into his fridge so he could have a nice cold one when he wanted.

And as he says... beer is 'bread in a bottle.'

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who calls it (Guinness specifically) "A porkchop in a can."

So...will this blessing come into use in a couple weeks?

* ahem *

I'd just like to say I'd love to hear it in Latin and would be quite impressed. I believe clean uncominated holy water can be arranged....

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear it in latin too. I'll bring Smithwyck's!!

MJ

Adoro said...

Hey, Father, I just discovered an artifact that was suppressed by the evil modern biblical "scholars"...it discussses blessing beer!

You shouldn't have gotten me going on the bad modernist scholars....

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Father. But what we REALLY need is a blessing for coffee, a nice Latin one. Do you know one? Or maybe the Carmelite fathers in WY have one?

Father Schnippel said...

Anon,

Might want to check with the Carmelites in WY. As for me, coffee is a necessary evil, while beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Anonymous said...

Hm....I can bring some Mystic Monk with me....I can't bring beer on the plane, though. Impossible to transport liquid now.

If I bring coffee, will you bless it anyway? I like anon's suggestion....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we need to have a beer tasting party during the cookout. I'm buying Great Lakes beer (great Microbrewery on the near west side) for our little get-together. Who's bringing the Clydesdales?? *grin*

Oh, and btw, Fr. S - I'm reporting for duty. I've been sent to the 'Brew-meister's' office for bad punning by Adoro. You know, if I don't report in, I'll be in a froth of trouble!

Banshee said...

Logically, one would look for coffee blessings in the Eastern rites of the Church. Coffee came from Ethiopia first, and was known in Assyrian Rite areas long before we had it. However, I'm sure that the way the Italians love coffee, there's gotta be one somewhere.

The housekeeper of one of the twentieth century popes (Pius?) claimed, I seem to recall, that she once found her pope drinking coffee with the Virgin Mary; but I may be conflating stories together.

Thomas D said...

Correction to the Latin: "sanitatem corporis ..."