Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A thought on priestly celibacy

So, yesterday I had two Masses, one at the Cathedral one at a parish as I was covering for the pastor who was away. While I like to give the impression that I am always deep in prayer during Mass, I have to admit that sometimes my mind does wonder.

Yesterday was one of those times.

The First Reading was from Isaiah, and included the following lines:

Then the LORD said to Isaiah: Go out to meet Ahaz,
you and your son Shear-jashub,
at the end of the conduit of the upper pool
,on the highway of the fuller’s field, and say to him:


Through my brain runs the following:

"You know, it's a good thing that priests don't get married and father children, because you know of us would think it a great idea to be like Isaiah and call the people to conversion, and would want to show that identity by naming his son after Isaiah's son: Shear-jashub. That kid would never survive childhood."

Again, I never said all of my thoughts are holy.

4 comments:

Kasia said...

I'm thinking that most priests who would name their son Shear-jashub in order to drive home their identification with Isaiah would HAVE to homeschool...

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that if priests got married, their wives would NOT allow their sons to be named "Shear-jashub" and if she lost that battle, she'd pick a nickname or just call him "Junior"!

Kasia said...

Pick a nickname...but not "Sherry"!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Or just call him Shear for short and he would have to become a barber :-)

MJ